Speed Up CrashPlan Backups: Automagic!

UPDATE

Well…  I can no longer recommend CrashPlan, even using my fix below.   I recently upgraded my file server, performed a computer adoption according to CrashPlan’s instructions…. and CrashPlan lost all of my backups from that machine.  All 16TB or so or them.  It also lost my backup set definitions after the adoption.

CrashPlan support was… not particularly helpful.  They claim they see the 16TB of data attached to the right computer GUID, but I can’t see the data in my client, and when I look at my account in the CrashPlan web interface, I see nothing.  Support said it “might work” if I forced a backup to run… and it didn’t.

My CrashPlan account expires soon, and I won’t be renewing.

Another Update:

If my fix doesn’t work for you, try changing the server that you’re connecting to, as described HERE.  Thanks to reader Jorgen for his comment with this tip!  This will, unfortunately, mean starting your backups over from scratch.  :(

Reading some of the recent comments on one of my previous posts, I’ve noticed that some people seem to be having problems following the instructions there — looking at the wrong XML files, forgetting to restart the CrashPlan service, etc.   In the interest of making this fix more “user friendly”, I’ve developed some scripts for Windows and Linux that does some “automagic” — one-click fixes, basically.

Windows:

Download:  CrashPlanFix-Windows.zip

Unzip all files to a directory somewhere, then run CrashPlanFix.bat as Administrator (right-click, Run as Administrator).   You’ll see a window pop up showing some progress messages.  As long as you don’t see any errors, everything should have worked properly.

Linux

Download:  CrashPlanFix-Linux.sh.gz

Decompress the file and then run CrashPlanFix-Linux.sh.

Mac

Nothing yet — I don’t have access to any Mac systems.  :(

(Update: 13 Feb 2014)  Thanks to reader Bill W, Mac users can now feel the automagic love.  Download his script for Mac HERE.  Note that this will need to be run with elevated privileges via the ‘sudo’ command.  Thanks Bill!

37 Responses to Speed Up CrashPlan Backups: Automagic!

1. Pingback:Network Rockstar | Speeding up CrashPlan Backups

2. Avatar Ronny
    Ronny says:

Instead of editing the XML perhaps setting the dedupe option to Minumum instead of Automatic will have the same effect? I don’t know, the change of XML or dedupe setting makes no difference for me I am stuck on around 1 Mbit/s. Maybe the speed from Sweden is too low anyway. (I have 10 Mbit/s maximum upload speed on my internet connecton but CrashPlan is much slower).

• Avatar alter3d
      alter3d says:

Hi Ronny;

When I was doing my initial troubleshooting on this problem, I tried playing with the dedupe settings that are present in the UI, and they had no effect. There was NO change between the various settings. The only thing that I found that resolved the problem was changing the XML files.

3. Avatar Pedro
    Pedro says:

So, did you find a solution for mac? Do you know at least where the file is located on OSX system?
    I am trying to implement that for myself. If it works I will let you know.

• Avatar Pedro
      Pedro says:

Hey, actually I just found the XML file myself, changed the data dupe on WAN to 1, and I didn’t have any improvement in speed.
      Maybe my problem is an internal WAN firewall. I don’t know.
      I will try to test with another network.
      I will keep you updated.

4. Avatar Jamie
    Jamie says:

Saw this post with great hope, fantastic explanation for my drop from 9mbps to 1.3mbps.

Unfortunately, making the changes on OSX (on two different machines, 1 Snow Leopard the other Mavericks) hasn’t had much of an effect.

Mavericks laptop is less into the upload, and still about 4mbps, but Mac Mini still at 1.3mbps.

This was kind of the post I wished I seen before I paid for a 4 year package with these guys…

• You can request a refund of unused time anytime!
      If you are not satisfied, I suggest you to do it. If more unsatisfied users have done this, maybe they will increase upload speed.

5. Avatar Jorgen
    Jorgen says:

Hi Jamie
    You could consider changing to another backup server at Crashplan, as I have done.
    Note that this means that you will lose your current backup, but going from 1 Mpbs to 10 Mpbs was worth that in my case.
    Read here:

and here:

/ Jorgen

6. Pingback:CrashPlan Slow Part 2 - Cloud Storage Buzz

7. I’d be happy to test this on a Mac if you can point me in the right direction. I’m still seeing a ~300kbps upload rate on a network with an average 6mbps upload speed… Stumbled onto your posts looking for a fix and would love to experience the same uptick you were able to get!

8. Avatar Bill W.
    Bill W. says:

Hello all, I have posted a script on GitHub that will take care of everyting on a Mac running OS X 10.9. Presumably it will work on earlier version of the OS as well. The script is here: https://gist.github.com/thewellington/8984012

1. It makes the suggested changes per http://networkrockstar.ca/2013/09/speeding-up-crashplan-backups/ and backs up the original file.

2. Restarts CrashPlan

3 Relaunches the CrashPlan Menu Extra (Comment out the line if you don’t want this behavior)

Author: free to post the script in the article if you desire.

9. Bill, I cant seem to get the .sh to execute properly in terminal. I tried the sudo command as well as other tips I found online (such as change to .command etc).

It either tells me the directory doesnt exist or permission denied even after I enter my password etc. I know basic Terminal stuff but this is far from my expertise. Any help would be appreciated!

-Wes

• Avatar alter3d
      alter3d says:

Make sure the file is in the current directory:

ls

If you see the filename (crashplanFixup.sh or whatever you saved it as) in the list of output, then do:

chmod +x crashplanFixup.sh
      sudo ./crashplanFixup.sh

It’s likely that you didn’t have the file set with the “executable” bit. The above commands should fix that.

10. I’m a bit confused by your second line “Is” but I assume that is a typo?

I tried what you said but wasnt seeing any progress. It just reverts to a new line without any new info. I ran the code from my main HD location and it appeared to run, but the program just closed and didnt restart. Also I noticed the menu bar programed remained running.

Also it gave me this:
    sed: /Library/Application: No such file or directory

I noticed in the code there is just a regular space at ‘Application Support’ so it seems to hang at that space?

Is there a way to check that the script worked? I know it changes that line of code to have a 1, but I am not seeing any changes.

My speeds go up and down but after a few hours always land around 300-700 kbps. My max is 4Mbps and I get that steadily with Backblaze, but I dont like how they only hold versions or externals for 30 days before deletion. CrashPlan would be great if it would just stay near 4Mbps instead of slowing to only 10% of that!

Just to see if I’m doing some main step wrong. Could you give me a play by play of how to run this script after downloading the file? I just cant see what I’m doing wrong at this point.

Thanks a ton!

11. Finally got this to work…clocked in at 207 Mbps at work in SF for at least an hour now. Here’s roughly what I did – sorry I can’t be specific because I was changing a lot of things over the past few days.

Upgraded Mac OS X to Mavericks
    Upgraded to Java 7
    Had trouble executing Bill’s script so I ran each line manually in the terminal. I did the find and replace manually in vim for anything with a dataDeDup tag and set it to 1.
    After restarting crashplan the speed increased

(also tried to connect to a new remote server but that didn’t help)

12. Oops got a little excited. That was the “analyze” speed for data I’ve already uploaded. The “sending” speed is back to ~1.3 Mbps.

13. Avatar Fernando
    Fernando says:

Unfortunately doing this change on my Win7 Core2Quad machine didn’t make any difference – and yes I did restart the service, as well as the machine itself. In my case, the CPU is not the bottleneck. It seems to be the Crashplan datacenters and I have a 10Mb upload and i dont get more than 1Mb average speed. Anyway, still thanks for the great post!

14. Avatar Bill W.
    Bill W. says:

Wes, Vin, and others. I altered the way I call the FILEPATH variable, so it should more gracefully handle the space in the path.

I also modified the instructions to include cases where people forget to add the executable bit. I keep this script in my PATH, and forget that others may call it differently.

15. Avatar Michael Bennati
    Michael Bennati says:

Thanks for doing this and helping so many frustrated Crashplan users.
    I’m on Mac with Mavericks. However it is in Danish so the path to .xml file is the same except Library is called Bibliotek in the Danish version. Would that explain why I can’t make the script work?
    Besides that – it would be really helpful with a step by step guide describing the steps after having downloaded the script and launched Terminal.

Not being able to launch the script I navigated to the my.service.xml file, opened it and changed the 0 to 1 in this line hat now looks like this:

Is that really all I have to change?
    I saved the change and restarted my computer but the upload speed didn’t change.
    I have internet connection with 80Mbps upload capability but Crashplan is stuck around 1 Mbps. I have 4-5TB to upload. I have configured Crashplan to utilize max CPU and bandwidth.

Am I doing something wrong since the 0 to 1 change doesn’t have any effect for me?
    Thanks in advance. Really appreciate what you are doing!! :-)

16. Avatar Michael Bennati
    Michael Bennati says:

17. Avatar Michael Bennati
    Michael Bennati says:

oh well.. it won’t let me copy paste the line from xml file here.. disregard the 1 thing.

• This 0 to 1 fix works on a Crashplan on a PC, and also confirmed to work on a headless installation of Crashplan on a Synology NAS. Also, I went through the delete the backup step and was assigned to a new server, going from 1.5 kbps to 8 kbps sustained upload speed. Bravo.

To access the XML file on the Synology NAS, you can SSH with SFTP, and login as root to access the Synology/Crashplan system files in the @appstore directory as described here: http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=56384

Thanks again.

• Bob,

I run Crashplan headless on a Synology DS212 but I am unable to do the dedup fix. I manage to SSH in but get stuck then (no experience with vi). Could you spell out line by line what I need to do or how to change Bill’s script?

Thanks

18. Thanks much for reporting this, I was seein 300kbps before I fixed this. (I also made these changes about the same time Comcast (my ISP) signed their Netflix peering, and some traffic bottleneck near Cogent may also have been in play.)

In any case, I started seeing 2Mbps pretty quickly (this was about a month ago), and what’s really strange is that, while there’s a fair bit of noise, it seems as if my averages have gotten consistently faster over time since. Not sure what’s going on, but I’m now usually seeing readings at or near 5Mbps, with peaks almost to 20.

Anyway, the algorithm issue you found was definitely my lead bottleneck when I started, thanks for making this information available!

19. Avatar Domenick
    Domenick says:

Thank you for this script, it helped me tremendously. I am using windows 8.1. Now that I have everything 100% backed up to the CrashPlan servers, should I revert the my.service.xml file to the default settings? Or should I just leave it modified for as long as I’m using crashplan? Thank you..

20. Avatar bumblebee
    bumblebee says:

keep up the good work bro!!

21. Avatar Sebastian
    Sebastian says:

Very nice trick, and the windows scripting worked great.

I have a server (core2 duo at 2.5 ghz) at home, with Windows 7 and crashplan installed and a 60mbit line.
    I use that instead of the Crashplan cloud plan.

I went from 13 mbit/s – 6 mbit/s to around 30 mbit/s :)

22. Avatar Bjorn
    Bjorn says:

Hi, a question that relates to this, but isn’t exactly the same. I’m primary using crashplan to back up to a local machine, on my LAN. The speed I am getting to this machine is almost exactly 100mbit, which is odd since I have a 1gbit connection. I can easy transfer files to the machine that hosts the crashplan server, and I get around 800mbit with samba, so it clearly not hardware related. Neither the client or the server are peaked CPU or memory wise. I have it to not use any network restrictions on either LAN or WAN (tried to set it to 0, and 100gbit, top of my head I can’t remember what I put it to, but it did not change anything). I did the normal restart of the client and the server after changeing settings.

I have tried ask crashplan about this, but got a similar answer as you did (its fast enough, we haven’t done anything wrong). Any idea what to do?
    /Bjorn

23. Pingback:Speed Up CrashPlan Backups and Free Up CPU Power with These Scripts | Emelar IT Group

24. Pingback:Speed Up CrashPlan Backups And Free Up CPU Power With These Scripts | Lifehacker Australia

25. Pingback:Cloud backup using CrashPlan | Sarbyn Scrapbook

26. Avatar Kerry
    Kerry says:

FYI, Crashplan seems to explain that these speed increases are, in essence, an illusion. See this page at their site
    tinyurl.com/zttt9tm

27. I notice that crashplan has taken down the directions on how to change your server.
    Can anyone tell me those directions? Thanks!

28. Found my own answer from here: http://superuser.com/questions/446109/why-is-crashplan-so-slow-to-upload-my-computers-files

Copied below:
    …How do I switch servers?

Well, turns out you can assign your box a new machine GUID (a random identifier) and it’ll get assigned to a new home server randomly.

In order to do this you double click the CrashPlan logo (a green house) twice on the main screen and type in the command “guid new”. This will reset your local CrashPlan instance requiring you to set it up as a new computer, losing all your configurations, even local backups. Not only that, you will have to start back over with your initial backup. You have been warned! You’ll want to delete the old instance for your computer on the Destinations tab after you have made a successful backup, too.